Friday, September 15, 2006

The people who give you money to buy things

Ethan: Dad, can we go to Target and get some money from the people who give you money to buy things, and see if they have a Tycoon game?

Me: Which people who give you money?

Ethan: You know, the people at the end.

If only it were that easy.

Later in the conversation, I told Ethan if he wants a Tycoon computer game (he played one at a friend's house), he should put it on his Christmas list. He didn't like that idea, and said he wanted it now. I asked him if he had any money. "You need money to have it come in the mail?" he asked.

Andrew, now interested, said "I have enough money to buy it." (Andrew is rich--he has $20.)

Ethan: Can Andrew buy it for me with his money?

Me: If that's what he wants to do with his money.

Andrew: If I buy it, it will be mine.

Ethan: But Dad, I want it for me.

Andrew, wanting to make a deal: Ethan, how about if I buy it, the change that I get will be for me, and the game will be for you.

This was not an altruistic offer. From the look on Andrew's face he was clearly convinced that this was a good deal for him.

Hmmm... Looks like we have some work to do.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I can just see Andrew's blue eyes twinkling and his eyebrows raised as he offered that to Ethan. So cute, the things they think.

The Queen said...

Too funny. I wish it was that easy.

Carla said...

I believe they get this from their Mother :)