Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Be vehwy vehwy quiet. I'm hunting for wabbits.

Ah, fall. The season for:
  • Watching the leaves change color.
  • Carving pumpkins.
  • Finding severed rabbit heads in your backyard.
Yep, that's right. A SEVERED rabbit head. Our yard has a fence, so we're not sure how a random rabbit head came to rest on our lawn. My theories:
  1. It fell from the sky.
  2. Terrorists left it.
  3. The bunny's head fell off, and the body hopped away.
Do you have a theory? If so, leave it in the comments.

I'd rather chop up baby mice with a shovel than pick up a severed rabbit head. I couldn't look at the thing. The removal operation was quite a sight--Ginger was on the deck about thirty feet away, directing me as I tried to push the head into a paper bag while avoiding direct eye contact with the bunny. After a couple of tries, Ginger got fed up, walked over business-like and put the head in the bag. No nonsense.

I would have done it with a few more tries. At least I carried it to the trash like a big boy.

Our yard is a crazy, wild place. Yesterday, Ginger called me at work to tell me we had a mouse stuck between one of the basement windows and the screen. Mice have been eating away the screen outside one of our basement windows as they try to escape the cold. Although they can apparently eat through metal, they can't eat through glass (yet).

Off and on through the afternoon yesterday I wondered what I was going to do with the mouse when I got home. Leave it to rot as a medieval warning to other trespassers? Pull the screen back and let the mouse escape? Fortunately, by the time I got home the mouse was gone. Maybe it left us the rabbit head as a token of appreciation.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

ok, this one had me laughing; you guys have the best backyard stories. i love to picture ginger just walking out there and getting it done. can't wait to hear her side of the story. :)

Barbara said...

This is funny!!! I am glad I live where I do - we only get coyotes,rats domestic cats and dogs, oh yes racoons and possums. Not bad for the city!!!

Carla said...

This is hilarious. Ginger really is turning into her Mother, isn't she? ha ha
Years ago, I saw a wild dog in our backyard one night. It tore off the head of one of our rabbits that was running around and another WHICH WAS IN A LARGE HUTCH! Raccoons will do this, also.
You didn't really think a fence would keep out animals, did you???

The Queen said...

Maybe I AM glad we live in CA.

albumatt said...

So elliott,the other half of your rabbit showed up in our yard about 1 year ago. Seriously, it was nasty. So, I paid the neighbor boy to get rid of it. The best $5 I ever spent. This is Katie writing