Friday, November 17, 2006

I wish I had majored in physics

This stuff is so cool. A scientist in Washington is going to do an experiment to try an send a photon back in time:
"'It doesn't seem like it should work, but on the other hand, I can't see what would prevent it from working,' Cramer said. 'If it does work, you could receive the signal 50 microseconds before you send it.'"

The experiment is based on the principle of entanglement:
"'If you do a measurement on one [photon], it has an immediate effect on the other even if they are separated by light years across the universe,' Cramer said. If one of the entangled photon's trajectory tilts up, the other one, no matter how distant, will tilt down to compensate."

5 comments:

joojierose said...

you should totally write that book on crazy things in science that don't make sense elliott!! it would be so cool.

The Queen said...

I wish I could understand anything he is talking about! The wires just aren't all connected up here.

Leslie said...

um, run that by me again? what's a photon?
i only passed physics becase mr. fjeldstead's wife worked for dad. :)

stephanie said...

that's how i passed physics, too.

Anonymous said...

It's beyond me- Had physics and did well but that was a long, long time ago. Don't even comprehend any of this!!!!
Love you
Grammy