Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The power of the mind

I found this paragraph at this site. Even though the words look like nonsense, you can read it if you try:

"I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid! Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt."

6 comments:

Leslie said...

that is very strange. have you tried to have your kids read it? I'm going to see if Audrey can.

elliott said...

Both Andrew and Ethan could read it just fine. Weird.

Hawkfeather said...

I cluod raed it too. (Audrey wanted me to type it in like the paragraph, silly girl.)

Brent said...

It does slow one down a bit. What about this with the vowels removed:
"Cn y rd ths s wll s y rd th thr prgrph?"
Or with just the consonants gone:
"A ou ea i a e a ou ea e oe aaa?"

Carla said...

Hmmmm. I read the paragraph quickly ~ but when I got to the last sentence, I misread the word 'spelling' as 'sleeping'! ha ha
Methinks this is a Freudian slip :)

elliott said...

Without the vowels or consonants it's definitely harder for me.